by Mike –
Here is my pick for the classic car for sale today that I would like to own. The Ford GT is one of the rare modern cars that is a classic in its own time and I believe will continue to be a desirable collector car.
It is modeled after the famous Ford GT40 race car that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans a few times in the 1960s. There were only 4,038 Ford GTs made for both the 2005 and 2006 model years combined.
2006 Ford GT
I saw the Ford GT introduced at Concorso Italiano in Monterey, California by the chief designer, Camilo Pardo, in August 2004 with Carroll Shelby in attendance.
I also attended the Christies auction in Pebble Beach that same year where the first production Ford GT was auctioned for charity. It was chassis number 10 and sold for $557,000.
Jay Leno drove the car onto the auction stage although the car he drove was one of the prototypes not the actual car being bought. He told a few jokes that were quite funny at the time. I also think that he bid on the car.
The seller says:
* Absolutely stunning example of a 2006 model Ford GT
* Midnight Blue with White stripes
* Outfitted with the optional forged alloy wheels and red painted brake calipers
* Only 2,500 original miles
* All aluminum 5.4L DOHC supercharged V8 engine, rated at 550hp and 500 lb/ft of torque
* Ricardo 6-speed transmission
* Pristine example, it comes with all the delivery tags, original window sticker, original books, Ford GT duffel bag, cover and both keys
This Ford GT is for sale here with a price of $209,900 Canadian ($212,700 US).
I have always been a big fan of the Ford GT40 and this modern interpretation makes for a very beautiful car that is more driver friendly that the original GT40s. This modern car is a little larger and has the modern comforts, performance and safety features that are expected from a modern super car.
I like the color combination and the low miles. The prices seems a little high to me but not by much. The Hagerty Price Guide lists this car at $201,000 US. This is a higher price than when new – these Ford GTs are appreciating and they are not even old yet!
Let us know what you think about this classic Ford GT in the Comments.
Subscribe to My Car Quest