by Mike –
Here is my pick for the classic car for sale today that I would like to own. Virgil Exner of Chrysler worked closely with Ghia for 15 years, resulting in eighteen Chrysler/Ghia specials some owned by Jackie Kennedy, Nelson Rockefeller, and other celebrities.
The Dual-Ghia is a rare, low volume car that was produced in America between 1956 and 1958. Eugene Casaroll formed Dual Motors in Detroit, Michigan to build an exclusive car at a reasonable price. The Virgil Exner design was based on a Chrysler show car, the Firearrow.
Out of the 117 cars produced it is believed that approximately 32 still exist. American celebrities, such as Frank Sinatra, Sterling Hayden, Richard Nixon and Desi Arnez bought the cars. This particular car was once owned by the legendary entertainer Hoagy Carmichael.
1958 Dual-Ghia Convertible
RM Auctions says:
* 230 hp, 315 cu. in. Dodge D-500 “Red Ram” V-8, Carter four-barrel carburetor, Chrysler PowerFlite two-speed automatic transmission, independent front suspension with unequal length A-arms and coil springs, live rear axle and semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 115 in.
* An icon of 1950s Hollywood
* Formerly the property of legendary entertainer Hoagy Carmichael
* Best in Show at the 2003 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance
* One of the finest Dual-Ghias in existence
This Dual-Ghia Convertible is for sale at the RM Auction of the Don Davis Collection in Fort Worth, Texas on April 27, 2013. The estimate is $250,000 – $450,000 without reserve.
These European Style with American Muscle cars are just plain elegant. With that Chrysler power it is also reliable. The Dual-Ghia is rare and this one is in particularly good condition.
As a multiple award winning show car it has the distinction of winning Best in Show at The Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance in 2003. RM says this is the only post-war car to win this award. It is very rare for any post-war car to win Best in Show at any event of the caliber of Amelia Island so it is safe to say this is an exceptional car.
Let us know what you think about this classic Dual-Ghia in the Comments.
Sign up for the My Car Quest Membership. For about 10 cents US per day you get full access to all of the Premium Articles.
Click on the button below and then click on the blue tag in the lower left of the Membership Page and become a My Car Quest Member!
It is easy – all you need is a Credit Card or PayPal. Click below.